Friday, January 27, 2012

Wouldn't ya know...

That the first PUG I do on my shammy healer would have an asshat. I haven't played that character for a while, and I spent a little time re-familiarizing myself with my capabilities. I zone into a fresh Dire Maul North run, and while I and the others are getting the quests from the NPCs at the entrance, the tank is already in combat. Sigh.

We clear most of the way to the first boss, and the tank pulls the boss before the last trash pack is dead. As soon as we drop the boss, he's on the way to the next trash pack. I manage to get a little drink to restore some mana between trash pulls. As we make our way to the second boss, we get into an area where there is several different levels of ground and columns that block line of sight. You can guess where this is going.

At level 45 I have 3 healing spells. I have Healing Wave - a mana cheap, long cast, low healing spell. I have Healing Surge - a shorter cast, mana expensive, slightly larger healing spell. I have Chain Heal. That's it. As the tank chain pulled up a ramp and out of line of sight, I had to stop casting my big heal and folow him to get off a quick heal. Meanwhile, one of the DPS butt pulls a group back down the ramp, past the pillars. Instead of using line of sight to gather the casters causing havoc, he gets out of my line of sight twice; once going down the ramp and again going out around the pillar. He dies along with the DPS that pulled the extra mobs.

The other two DPS and I kite the mobs around the pillars and get them down. As I'm rezzing the tank, I notice in the party chat that he had typed "You suck at healing". Had I not already pugged other healers a ton, I might have felt bad. I knew he was a fail tank, and I didn't let it bother me. If I sucked that bad, it would have been a wipe. Just another entry on the ignore list. We almost had another wipe at the boss who fears and calls adds. The tank couldn't keep aggro and I end up dead. The he and another DPS dies. The last two DPS (the same ones that lived last time) managed to get the rest down, using crowd control and kiting. We finished the rest without any other problems.

I did run it again with another pug, with a tank that knew what he was doing. It was a quick run with no wipes and no issues at all. Even with a healer that sucks. Go figure. I swapped over to my elemental spec and did some questing, calling it a day when I hit 50.

I logged onto my warrior and was questing along, trying out my respec to arms from fury when I realized that the new holiday quests were also giving experience points. I hearthed back to Stormwind and picked up the starter quests. After swooping in on an Omen kill, I proceeded to honor as many elders as I could. Between questing, holiday XP, and one run of the Nexus I managed to hit 75. I also learned that I truly suck at arms. My DPS in the Nexus was horrible, until I was in a group of mobs. Bladestorm was giving me numbers that i'm used to seeing on my 85! Adding the quest givers into the Northrend and Outland dungeons was also a nice surprise. I logged onto my paladin and followed my warrior's course. I skipped the old world elders for now and went back to Northrend. I tanked a run of UK before I logged, bringing me up to 73.

During the week, I spent some time on my 85s. On Tuesday, I ran through LFR on my druid. I picked a few drops; a set of bracers and two pairs of tier gloves. I wish they would fix the roll system. While I was trying to look for the next highest roller to trade, people were already complaining in chat about my winning two tier gloves off the boss, while still pulling trash for the next boss. I was finally able to trade it to a grateful mage. I tried to do a few heroics to cap valor points for the week, but getting even one fail pug later at night is enough to make me want to logoff. I was the only one trying to get Thrall out of the ice tomb. I think I was the only one staying out of the ice as well, being able to shift out of the snares kept me the last one alive. We almost made it on the third run, until Thrall was put into an ice tomb for a second time. I didn't even know that was possible. I left the group, hearthed home, and logged out for the night.

I hopped on my mage Wednesday and go into another DS run. i managed to put out some respectable DPS, although I only received valor points from the run. Thursday was my deathnight's turn, and it did not disapoint. I picked up a ring and tier shoulders! I also ran a Well of Eternity where I broke 100k DPS on the last fight. I'm really enjoying the frost spec, but I may take a stab at unholy to see just how much I can do. Tonight I'll run my hunter and my rogue through DS, and spend the rest of the weekend using up the rested bonus on my lowbies and gearing up my priest and warlock for DS.

Hunter 85
Deathknight 85
Rogue 85
Priest 85
Mage 85
Druid 85
Warlock 85
Warrior 75
Paladin 73
Shaman 50

No comments:

Post a Comment